- This event has passed.
June 11, 2016 - September 28, 2016Free
Columbia Valley Farmers Markets are huge weekly attractions during the summer months, part of a tradition in rural BC for more than a century. No matter how small or large they might be, they draw enthusiastic crowds.
Visitors to farmers markets come for the season’s best home-grown fruits, vegetables and herbs which are beautifully displayed in colorful stalls, alongside home-baked breads, buns, cakes, jams, pickles, and even delicious local honey. Some markets sell farm-fresh eggs and locally-produced meats and cheeses as well.
Often, the vendors will be offering a sample to tempt your taste buds – like perhaps a cracker topped with a spoonful of homemade hot pepper jelly or a dollop of hummus on a crisp pita chip. You can take home a bunch of flowers, cut fresh while the dew was still on the garden, maybe a houseplant or a garden sculpture.
Farmers markets offer much more, though. You can spend a delightful hour or two browsing the displays of paintings, photography, hand-made soaps and lotions, sewing, knitting, ceramics, woodworking, glassware and more. Stop and chat with the artists and artisans and find that perfect treasure to take home with you.
Tap your feet to the lively melodies of local musicians, grab a cup of locally-roasted coffee, visit with old friends and make some new ones. It’s a fun place to be and a truly great summer tradition.
As dates come in for the 2016 Columbia Valley Farmers Markets, we will update the list below:
- Invermere Farmers and Artists Market is in the traditional downtown location. Saturdays from June 11 to September 10/16 (9am – 1pm)
- Invermere’s Saturday Morning Market Place, a complement to the Invermere Farmers and Artists Market, can be found in front of the Legion building on Saturdays from June 18 to September 3 or10/16 /(9am-1pm)
- Radium Hot Springs has the traditional Market on Main, which is combined with Music on Main, giving a festive air to the visitor centre location on Main Street West. Fridays from July 3 to August 28/16 (4pm – 9pm)
- Fairmont Hot Springs Farmers and Artisans Market is in the Fairmont Village Mall parking area. You can see it from the highway. Sundays from 10am – 2pm.
- Edgewater market takes place inside the Edgewater Legion building and starts off with a pancake breakfast Sundays from 9 -11am and is followed by the market from 11am -1:30pm.
A pleasant drive north or south on Hwy. 93/95 will take you to several other weekly Columbia Valley farmers markets:
- Golden Spirit Square Market on 8th takes place on Saturdays from July 9 to August 27/16 (10am – 2:pm)
- Golden Farmers Market is at Hwy 95 and 5th , Wednesdays from June 15 to September 29/16 (12 – 5pm)
- Kimberley Farmers Market is held on Howard St. between Kimberley and Deer Park Aves. Thursdays from June 23 to September 8/16 (5 – 7:30pm)
- Cranbrook Farmers Market is on 10th S. every Saturday from June 25 to August 27/6 (9am -1pm)
Take the whole family to one of the Columbia Valley’s wonderful farmers markets. It’s an adventure and there’s definitely something to make everyone happy.