Columbia Valley Events Calendar
Canal Days is a much anticipated annual event, a celebration of the many reasons why the Canal Flats folks love living in the pleasant little community. They go all out every year, with events for every person, young and not-so-young. Everyone has a great time and the memories made can last a lifetime.
Canal Days is also a chance to put off the last vestiges of winter and embrace the coming summer, with all the things that the community has to offer its residents and visitors.
The schedule for the 2017 Canal Days event is full.
Wed. May 31st – 6:30 PM
Lip Sync Battle – Come out and show us your Creative Costumes, lip syncing abilities and dance moves! It’s going to be a community-wide battle with No Holds Barred! All ages welcome. Concession will be open. To sign up call Ashley Berube at 778-523-8002 or Laura Favreau at 250-688-0952. Admission – $2.00
Thursday, June 1st – 7 PM
Canal Flats Bingo – There’s a $500.00 Bonanza, a $500.00 Free Game and lots of door prizes. Doors open at 5:30 so come early to get a seat!
Friday, June 2nd – late afternoon
Keg River Race – Its Coming Back! Colin Cartwright will be putting the keg in the river, starting the clock and guiding it carefully down to the finish line under to the bridge. Spectators are encouraged to bring a lawn chair to the river bank and cheer on the keg. Colin suggested that the monies from the betting be split 50/50 with the person having the winning time and the Wilderness Club. We have secured beer sponsorship for this event from Phillips Beer.
Friday, June 2nd – 6 – 8 PM
Youth Bingo – A fun night at bingo for ages 8 to 16. It’s going to be great fun for all the future Bingo champs of the neighborhood. There’s lots of prizes, too. Parents, we encourage you to come and help your child. For more info call Heidi at 250-349-5585. Doors open at 5:30 PM. Cost -$2.00 for 2 cards (extra cards $.25 each),
Saturday, June 3rd – starting at 8 AM
It’s going to be a day and evening filled with fun festivities for the whole family. Here’s a list of some of the activities we’ve planned for you:
- 8-10 AM – Breakfast will be served by the Canal Flats Seniors. Get 2 sausages, 2 pancakes for $4 or 3 sausages, 3 pancakes for $5. Coffee and juice included.
- 10 AM – 4 PM – The Canal Days Cruise In is a first this year. All makes and models of vehicles, motorcycles too, will be on display at the corner of Baille and Grohman. For more info visit https://columbiavalley.com/events/canal-days-cruise-in/.
- 10:30 AM – Parade line-up and judging. This year there will be cash awards for 4 categories: Best Over all—Business/groups/clubs—youth 13 to 18—Kiddies 12 and under
- Kids, dress up in your favorite costume, decorate your bikes, quads, etc. and join the parade!
- The Cranbrook Bugle Band
- Cram the Cruiser will be collecting donations for the food bank along the parade route and at the hall afterward, so be sure to have some great items ready
- Baseball tournament (for info, contact Kevin Fleming)
- Bean Bag tournament (for info, contact 250-349-7546 or 250-688-1599)
- Horseshoe tournament
- Beer Garden
- Live music with valley favorites Marty & Elli Beingessner
- 1 PM and 3 PM – Gagne’s loggers shows in the arena
- Face painting
- Kids activities in the hall
- From 11.30 am to 3.30 pm – Concession stand compliments of Canal Flats Family Pantry
- CU express train
- Slip & Slick Kick Ball (for info, call Amber Byklum at 250-349-5622)
- 6 PM – Saturday evening festivities in the park
- Spaghetti & meatball dinner with garlic toast and a drink. Treats and novelties available. Cost $10. under 12 yrs. $5.
- Karaoke with music by DJ Claudia Hirsher
- Games for all (3-legged race, egg carry, wheelbarrow race, gunny sack race)
- Extended beer garden
- 11 PM – Fireworks (sponsored by Community Groups and put on by the Canal Flats Fire Dept.
Sunday, June 4th – starting at noon
The Canal Days wind-up party is at Tilley Memorial Park with two exiting races.
- Bed Races start at noon. Each team consists of 4 persons. Lots of prizes to be won! This event is sponsored by The Flats RV/Campground.Contact Kelly for information 250-349-8212.
- (Note: a little trivia about bed races: “Ever since the first beds on wheels, fun-loving and adventurous folks have been challenging each other to bed races. According to Uncyclopedia, the first bed race was in February of 1868. The story apparently goes like this: a man named Harry Foghorn Dynamite was awakened from his sleep when his bed began to roll and crashed into a wall. Harry, being an entrepreneurial sort of person, had a great idea of what he thought of as a fool-proof way to make some money. Instead of a horse race, he would race beds.
Harry formed a bed-racing league and they kicked off with the first event which was named the ‘Bed-wetter 500’. 127 enthusiastic people showed up. Unfortunately, the race was a huge failure and Harry was banned from Boston that day. That’s the story, folks! You can believe it or not.”
- Duct Tape Boat Races follow. Each 2-person team must construct their boat with duct tape and cardboard. Tons of prizes for this one! This one is sponsored by Base Camp Coffee Shop. Contact Marjorie at 250-409-4050 to register your team.
Canal Days is a grand time for all and everyone’s welcome to come have a blast with us.
Here are some of our favorite annual fairs and festivals. Large or small, they draw friends and neighbors together to celebrate the uniquely beautiful tapestry that is Columbia Valley culture.