Columbia Valley Events Calendar
- This event has passed.
EKISC Open House Fall Series
Sep 22, 2016 5:00 pm - Sep 30, 2016 9:00 pm| Free
The East Kootenay Invasive Species (EKISC) is hosting an open house fall series. There will be one in your neighborhood and everyone’s invited. What are these open houses all about? The purpose for the open houses are two-fold:
- to inform you about our ongoing efforts to keep your community free of invasive plant and aquatic (invertebrate and fish) species
- to thank those who are working with us to stop the spread of these invasive species in our communities
There will be refreshments served and draws for door prizes.
Did you know?
“All invasive species (whether land or water-based) can have significant impacts to environmental, social and economic values of our region. In fact, after habitat loss, invasive species are considered to be the second greatest threat to global biological diversity (http://issg.org/)” – quote from the EKISC website.
Here is a list of the dates of the events in the following communities:
- Sept 22 – KIMBERLEY Centennial Hall – 100 4th Ave
- Sept 23 – INVERMERE – Lake Windermere Community Hall – 709 10th St
- Sept 26 – RADIUM – Community Hall – 4863 Stanley St
- Sept 27 – CANAL FLATS – Community Hall (Civic Centre) – 8911 Dunn St
There will also be open houses in Fernie, Cranbrook and Elkford:
- Sept 28 – FERNIE – Arts Center – 601 1st Ave
- Sept 29 – CRANBROOK – Manual Training Center – 1212 2nd St. N
- Sept 30 – ELKFORD – Community Center Meeting Room – 740 Fording Dr
The schedule for each open house will be as follows:
5:00 PM – Doors Open
5:30 – 17:45 PM – We will deliver a short presentation of our achievements in your community, outlining what specifically we have done in your area and the what the future holds for invasive species control.
5:45 – 6:10 PM – Slideshow Presentation
6:15 – 6:30 PM – Learn how to use Report-A-Weed App
6:30- 7:00 PM – Open Q&A / Door prize draws
7:00 PM – End of formal presentations / Food and drinks
7:00 – 9:00 PM – Educational Displays / Interactive Maps – View the displays, pinpoint areas of concern on an interactive map, and participate in games to win prizes.
Please mark the date for the event to learn about the invasive species in your community at the open house fall series.
Share this with your friends!