Columbia Valley Events Calendar
Radium Sunrise Rotary Club250-347 2110
The Radium Sunrise Rotary Club’s motto is “Service Above Self’ and this enthusiastic group of 14 business people and retirees is doing this very thing – celebrating and supporting the communities of Radium, Edgewater and north as far as Spillimacheen. AND they are having fun at the same time!
Although small in number, the Radium Sunrise Rotary Club has, since their inception in 2003, accomplished a very impressive list of achievements, both in their home community and internationally.
Locally, they have:
- Built Rotary Park, a lovely little green space at the junction where Highway 93 meets Highway 93/95 and a pathway that joins the park with the Sinclair Creek trail
- Provided funds for the construction of one of the bridges on the Sinclair Creek trail system.
- Sponsored student exchanges between local high school students and those of other countries such as Brazil and Japan
- Provided bursaries for graduating students
- Partially funded the lovely lights and trees that decorate the main streets of Radium each Christmastime
- Twice a year local Rotarians and friends clean Radium’s mile-long hill of debris.
The latest project of the club been the creation of Rotary Garden, a community garden in the centre of the village, complete with 40 raised beds, an 8 ft. wildlife fence, gazebo, benches, etc.
At the international level, the Sunrise Rotary Club:
- Raises funds to support a project to eradicate polio worldwide
- Contributes on an ongoing basis to many of the programs that the International organization undertakes all over the world, such as supporting an orphanage in Honduras.
To raise funds to support their many endeavors, the club:
- Operates a concession and beer garden at the annual Columbia Valley Classics Car Show and Shine event in September
- Sells hamburgers at Radium’s annual Winterfest celebration in January and Radium Days in the spring
- A hole-in-one contest held a couple of times a year at a local golf course.
Meeting times during the year are:
- From April to October – 8 am on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month at Radium Springs Golf Course
- From November to April – 8 am the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month at Meet on Higher Ground
There is usually a guest speaker at the regular meetings and anyone is welcome to join, either for breakfast or afterward. Cost of breakfast is $10. Although these business meetings are mainly focused on planning and discussing their projects, they are social occasions as well, building and cementing goodwill among themselves and in the community. If you are interested in joining us at a meeting, please let us know so we can let Radium Springs know.
The club is always happy to welcome new members. If you would be interested in more information or to be part of The Radium Sunrise Rotary Club, please contact:
President Maria Kliavkoff.
- There were no results found.